I sometimes have to explain how internet pages actually make it to your PC.
Drawings make everyhting a little bit easier so here’s one I did earlier.
- Your PC is connected at a Modem and/or Router. This connects you to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) via your telephone line.
- Your pay your ISP for access to the Internet.
- You can now connect to all the services other computers which are also linked to the Internet (like Google, Facebook, Twitter and those silly videos of cats dancing to Mambo Number 5)
- To find your website each internet service and site has an address. The address is known as the Domain Name. Our domain name is https://solarpolar.co.uk. You have to pay for your domain name. Typically you pay for the name for a set number of years and you must remember to renew it when that time is up, or someone else can then take that domain name.
- We’ve now accessed the service that hosts your actual website. Your PC can now talk directly to that machine and you’ll see your website on the screen. Easy huh? You have to pay someone to host your website for you.